Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Wanna Join Our Bike Gang?"

So I was biking back from a hanging out with some friends in another dorm at about 12:15 this night, when I ran into Morgan and Dan, who, as the title implied, asked me to join their bike gang. After leading them on little chase I obliged, all the while keeping my identity secret with the Animal mask I brought with me. We biked across the river and into downtown, where we met Lea, who was also biking. When we asked if she would like to join our bike gang, she told us to follow her. We went back across the river, and down the road to the roundabout, where we made a left turn for about 10 minutes, before following further to her own backyard. There, we parked our bikes and I finally revealed my true face. We went inside her neighbor's (and friend's) house, and met him as well as another guy who had gone to a Bourgeois party, and was dressed to the nines. My new friends and I smoked a bit of something (no comment as to what it was) and it was revealed that our host is actually the founder and head cook of a great restaurant here in Missoula. He offered to cook for us, and as the briquettes were warming we helped to pick some of his asian plums growing in his front yard (we had a few too - delicious). Lea showed us her grape vines and 7 chickens, and then we warmed ourselves around the coals as the cowboy ribeye steaks sizzled next to the Zucchini. Our host the chef called some friends (I think it was about 2:00 am by then) and they arrived just as he was mixing the steak slices and zucchini into an excellently seasoned dish. My two biker gang compadres and I stood around the table in his studio home and enjoyed one of the best meals with some of the kindest people I have met. None of this had been prompted by us. We had been invited inside, invited to cook for, and invited to share in the warmth of genuine friendship. Whatever happens in the next four years, and beyond that, I know that I will not forget this night. The people, the places, the tastes, the faces are all seared into my memory just as the warm coals seared those steaks. Those delicious, delicious steaks. It's 4:09 AM right now, and things are looking bright. Goodnight.

No comments: